Sound The Bugle Studio

The studio journal of Sound the Bugle Studio, featuring the works of Helen Scanlon, Equine Artist. E-mail sales inquiries to: soundthebuglestudio@charter.net

Friday, February 24, 2006

Othello



Here's Othello, a kind, sweet danish Warmblood, and I had the honor of caring for him for many years. He was a top level, award-winnning dressage horse, (Prix St. Georges). He was stunning to watch in action as he was so light on his feet when he "danced."

He lived at the barn I worked at, and he is now retired and spending his days in a large paddock with his friend, Ginger.

The bottom photo shows us spending quality grooming time together. He loved the "rubber fingers" as it would always get the lower lip tremble going.

The barn we are in was burned to the ground by a lightining strike the very next year, and Othello and all of his friends in that barn were saved, thanks to my hero and friend, GG.

Othello is my brave guy. GG said he was so panicked to see his home engulfed in flames...

I hung out with him for a bit about a week after this happened, and he seemed so eager for comfort. He nuzzled close to me; his big, noble head resting at my side. His breathing was deep and slow, and his eyes closed as I gently stroked him. I kept telling him how brave he was...

Othello--Enjoy your retirement, dear friend. You lost your home, but you kept your life. I hope the nightmares about that horrible day have ceased. I am thinking about you, and I miss you.
Love,
Helen

Afterword

That August 2004 lightining strike had no equine or human casualities due to the quick thinking of the barn's assistant trainer, GG. I am proud to call GG my friend. She saved the lives of 10 horses in less than 15 minutes. In 20 minutes, the whole barn was one big fireball.

There was one casualty, though. Tigger, the barn cat, was not seen after that fateful day. Since Tigger enjoyed sleeping in the hay loft of that ill-fated barn--we assume he perished in the fire.

Tigger is now with his friend Misty, his blind pony friend. Before Misty died in 2001, Tigger's favorite place to nap was in her stall.

I know they are together again...

2 Comments:

At 24 February, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for making me cry this morning.

Dammit...my mascara's running!

 
At 24 February, 2006 , Blogger Sound the Bugle Studio said...

these animals really touch our hearts, huh?
((hug))

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home