Sound The Bugle Studio

The studio journal of Sound the Bugle Studio, featuring the works of Helen Scanlon, Equine Artist. E-mail sales inquiries to: soundthebuglestudio@charter.net

Tuesday, January 31, 2006

For Nikki--Cavan


Here's Cavan, Nikki's "Little Man, " enjoying his much deserved retirement.

Nikki and I worked and lived at a barn/riding academy, and were responsible for the care of nearly 40 horses. It was fun, hard, back breaking work, but we loved it. I still miss those days. Nikki and I have so many great memories of that place!

When Cavan arrived at the barn in 1990, he was scared of people. So scared in fact that he would lunge for you with teeth bared if you dared to get close. Feeding him was an adventure. Run in with grain, run out. Watch your back. Don't get complacent...

"Mean" horses are usually just scared. Cavan was terrified. There was some mistreatment somewhere in his past...

He was grumpy, sour and sad. Luckily for him, he was assigned to my wonderful friend and roommate at the time, Nikki. She found a horse who truly needed her. It was a perfect match.

Nikki is one of the most skilled, sensitive and compassionate horse people I have ever met.

We all loved Cavan and showed him that not ALL people would mistreat him. I would always talk soothingly to him even when his ears were laced back. Slowly, those ears pricked forward when I talked to him. Cavan was so open to trusting people again. Nikki's daily attention to him worked wonders.

Soon, I could feed him without fearing for my life.

Nikki showered him with love and praise. She scratched his butt and he just LOVED that. She took him out for hacks around the hay field. I have pictures of them galloping in the tall grass-- smiles plastered to their faces. Can horses smile? Absolutely!

Nikki persisted with her affection for this bay horse and soon...

.... Cavan was cured. No longer a danger, he blossomed into a reliable and wise school horse. Everyone loved him.

Retirement suits him. He is now a "marshmallow," not a trace of that scared, dangerous, grumpy horse that had little trust for humans.

Many, many thanks to Caledonia Farm for giving this sweet horse a retirement fit for a King.

See what love can do?

4 Comments:

At 31 January, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a sweet story!
I love that Cavan--he's like a big cloud of happy :)!

 
At 31 January, 2006 , Blogger Sound the Bugle Studio said...

Nikki is hoping to visit with her old friend again soon.

Cavan and Nikki have not seen each other since 1991 or thereabouts! A long time...

I know Cavan will recognize Nikki in a heartbeat. You never forget those who show you kindness in times of fear and sadness.

 
At 31 January, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even in his retirement, Cavan is one of our very best horses on the farm. He still introduces the very young to the world of horses and he is a steady and happy light duty worker in our horse powered market garden. He is loving life for sure on 24/7 turnout and 50 acres of pasture ! I hope Nikki can see him soon!!

 
At 01 February, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi everyone,

I'm so incredibly touched by this story, and really miss My Little Man. Cavan is a once in a lifetime horse and he was my best partner. I sure hope he remembers me, and am going to try and see him this Summer! Oh, and Helen, I'd love to see you too of course...hee, hee. Nikki

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home