Sound The Bugle Studio

The studio journal of Sound the Bugle Studio, featuring the works of Helen Scanlon, Equine Artist. E-mail sales inquiries to: soundthebuglestudio@charter.net

Friday, February 17, 2006

Isaac


Here's a picture I took of Isaac, the 18 hh champion Shire stallion of Ox Kill farm. This shot was taken with my Nikon digital camera at the 2004 Equine Affaire in Springfield, MA.

Photography was one of my first loves. I used to spend hours in my darkroom going through tons of paper and chemicals. My brother and I were photography editors of my high school yearbook, and one year, my brother gave me his precious Minolta with a zoom lens as a birthday present. (Is my brother really that sweet and nice and utterly cool? YUP!)

I still have that camera, and it takes incredible shots. It really forces you to think about light, shutter speeds and aperture settings--there is NOTHING automatic on this camera. Even the light meter is busted.

My Nikon digital camera takes great pics too, but you manipulate light in a whole new way. There are settings on this camera that can allow for low light, action or portraits. I love it--except--it is limited for action shots as the camera takes the pic a couple of seconds AFTER you actually want to take it. So, I find myself predicting when something will happen in an action shot, and hope the camera captures it. I hope they improve the latency in digital cameras soon...Maybe they have? I hope so.

Digital photography is an exciting new art form, and I love it. But, if you really want to learn photography, get an ancient Minolta with a busted light meter.

Mine's not for sale. Sorry.

*grin*

5 Comments:

At 17 February, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

DIBS! I call Isaac as MY prom date!
I called him! (I love this guy so much I search for his Peter Stone model for three years and finally shelled out aobut $130 for it--worth it!)

 
At 17 February, 2006 , Blogger Brandy Gale said...

Hi H,

Yes, they have improved the latency of digicams, but you must buy a pro digital SLR rather than a point and shoot. You'd be amazed at what is out there now digital-wise in bodies and drool-worthy lenses. My DSLR body is named Camzilla, and goes with me everywhere. It gets expensive though, good glass ain't cheap, and it's definitely addictive. :-P

Cheers,
Lady Pinkie Macallan of singlemaltcove.blogspot.com

 
At 17 February, 2006 , Blogger Sound the Bugle Studio said...

KL--yeah, yeah--he's yours! You saw him first! :)

Lady Pinkie--I must save my pennies for an SLR digi-cam then. Camzilla takes FAB pics! :)

 
At 21 February, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I quote the great photographer, Peter J. Crowley on digital cameras?

"There's a lot to be said for digital cameras...none of it good."

Let's hear it for old manual Minoltas! (from a proud owner of one) :-)

 
At 21 February, 2006 , Blogger Sound the Bugle Studio said...

Oh, that Peter. he's so cryptic. :)

YAY! PC has a Minolta!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home