Sound The Bugle Studio

The studio journal of Sound the Bugle Studio, featuring the works of Helen Scanlon, Equine Artist. E-mail sales inquiries to: soundthebuglestudio@charter.net

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

An Artist's Journey, Part Two


This is me on Tara, my mother's Thoroughbred mare. This was the first horse I ever sat on, and my dad is leading us. I love Tara's expression--"must move carefully, I have a little thing on my back."

Tara thought I was her foal. My parents would keep a watchful eye, of course--I was only about 4 years old. She would nuzzle my head and keep me in her sight as if I was her baby.

When I left her, she would pace and whinny for me at the gate. "Where's my baaaaaaaaaaaby????"

Tara was my introduction to horses, and you can see why I fell in love with all things equine. And it wasn't a stretch for me to become an Equine Artist.

My brother's books contained my earliest equine renderings. *grin*

Sigh. I am feeling a little teary eyed looking at this picture. Tara was so sweet and gentle with me.

5 Comments:

At 23 February, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do hope you have/get this picture carefully framed and give it a place of honor in your home!

 
At 23 February, 2006 , Blogger Sound the Bugle Studio said...

i should do that, huh?

 
At 23 February, 2006 , Blogger Brandy Gale said...

Yes, you should, H! This photo says a thousand and one words. I really love it. The drawing below, saved from age 14, is priceless; how wonderful that you still have it! Even though it has acid damage, you may be able to stop the progression - do some research on document preservation. There are archival sprays and pouches that may save it. (Test the corner first!)

 
At 23 February, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is just too precious for words. I'm afraid I'm more than just a little teary eyed...

 
At 24 February, 2006 , Blogger Sound the Bugle Studio said...

Pinkie--good idea. Krylon makes a "make it acid free" spray....

and za--another funny comment name!
This pic is a precious little moment from my horse crazed life...

and you guys are right..it needs a frame and a place of honor in my home.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home