Sound The Bugle Studio

The studio journal of Sound the Bugle Studio, featuring the works of Helen Scanlon, Equine Artist. E-mail sales inquiries to: soundthebuglestudio@charter.net

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

An Early Work


I did this when I was 14; the reference photo was a cute ad in a horsey magazine. It is done on charcoal on cheap acidy paper--(notice how it has deteriorated?)

I am glad I saved it. You can see how I was developing a fondness for expressive, loose line--and you can see what time has done to the cruddy paper I used. It is actually much yellower, but my design wizard hubby was able to Photoshop away some of the nastiness.

Alas, you can now see why it is worth it to pay a little more to have good paper that withstands the test of time. And since I am a Certified Paper Snob, I use only acid-free archival papers.

So there.

:)

6 Comments:

At 21 February, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You drew this at 14???

I'll never pick up a pencil as long as I live.

 
At 21 February, 2006 , Blogger Sound the Bugle Studio said...

I was just a horse crazy kid with a charcoal pencil.
:)

 
At 21 February, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does your hubby also do dishes?

 
At 22 February, 2006 , Blogger Kim said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 22 February, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

This picture so reminds me of Sam Savitt's stuff--who I rank as one of my top 3 equine artists. Seriously, folks--don't you agree(Do a search for some of his stuff-you'll see what I mean :)!)

 
At 22 February, 2006 , Blogger Sound the Bugle Studio said...

ism--yes, my hubby does dishes. Cuz I don't... :)

and KL--thank you a million times. Sam Savitt is an equine art hero of mine.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home