Sound The Bugle Studio

The studio journal of Sound the Bugle Studio, featuring the works of Helen Scanlon, Equine Artist. E-mail sales inquiries to: soundthebuglestudio@charter.net

Saturday, January 15, 2011

*tears* another loss...Goodbye, Nim Nim

Nim Nim, the Mighty Lion King, surveys his Kingdom from his green blankie throne.
Nim Nim tries to get the catnip candy cane from Skeeter! Fun times!
Nim Nim, in healthier days.
Nim Nim, about a month before he left us.


Last night, my elderly cat, Nim Nim, started acting like it was time to go. He was 20, and had battled renal failure for two years. He was stabilized with special food, but eventually it caught up with him...and he went downhill fast. Just yesterday morning he was eating with gusto and jumping on the couch. By last evening, he was staggering and howling. But he still begged for the chicken I made for our dinner. I gave him his beloved chicken and he ate it with a quiet gratitude. How he loved chicken! He couldn't resist it, even in his weakened state. I gave him as much as he wanted...I knew our time together was coming to a close. I wanted him to have that joy.

This morning, he was barely able to walk and he hardly touched the wet food he loved so much. I even offered him a piece of chicken from the last night's dinner. He didn't touch it. My husband, Steve, and I promised him long ago that when he found no joy in eating, we would release him. Eating brought him such happiness: he would always meow at me "hurry your ass!!!" at feeding time. He would always get so impatient with me--I moved much too slow in the morning.

But, this morning, he was telling us he was ready to move on and leave this life; a life he shared with me and Steve for 15 years--before we were even married. He was with us through four moves and a bunch of jobs. He was there when we cried, when we laughed and when we celebrated. He was there when we came home after our wedding and he helped us open our gifts. He slept near us for many years and was always a perfect gentleman. I know he didn't like it when his bowels didn't cooperate any more and when he became thin; his beautiful buff coat losing its fluff and luster. He was proud, after all. He was my Lion King.

I wrapped him in his favorite green blankie and we drove to the vet. He snuggled his weary head into my chest as I softly stroked him and whispered my promises of love to him. He did not struggle. Occasionally he would lift his head to look at me and his "daddy." He had a tired kitty smile. Although he became deaf as old age gripped him, I am sure he could feel my chest vibrate with words as I spoke.

He loved us too, but love could not heal his kidneys and take away his pain. We had to give him the ultimate gift of love, today.

We heard you, sweet Nim...

My vet, the wonderful Dr. Todd Friedland, helped him on his final journey at 11am. It was so quick, so painless, so peaceful. Steve and I were at his side reassuring him that we would see him again someday. I told him it was summertime where he was going. We would be together again, even if he waited a long time for us. It would happen.

We rescued him 15 years ago. Some heartless person had probably dumped him in the woods behind a co-worker's house. My co-worker at the time, Debbie, came into work one day and told me the tale of a gorgeous, sweet fox-tailed cat that was living in her woods and she asked me if I wanted him. I said yes.

The day I made him mine, Debbie called to him and he came trotting out of the woods to greet her. I put him a carrier, took him home, and he nestled in our hearts. He was so happy and grateful to be in a safe place, surrounded by toys, food, beds and of course, love.

The cruel person who dumped him in the woods behind Debbie's house would never know the depth of love that Nim Nim so freely offered. He was a kind and noble soul who did not deserve to be dumped like garbage. We were honored to rescue this cat with the wise owl face and the jewel-green eyes. Many, many thanks to Debbie for asking me to adopt him all those years ago.

There is no love like that of a rescued animal. They reward you everyday with heaps of love and gratitude; enriching your days with laughter, joy and friendship. My life was richer because of Nim. Thank you, my dear, dear boy. I hope you have mountains of chicken and stinky tuna juice to feast on.

I will miss you, everyday.



and now something to make me smile--a basket full of baby Nim Nims:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home