Sound The Bugle Studio

The studio journal of Sound the Bugle Studio, featuring the works of Helen Scanlon, Equine Artist. E-mail sales inquiries to: soundthebuglestudio@charter.net

Thursday, May 06, 2010

The freedom of freehand



Whenever I have an open studio, I get asked a lot about my process. Do I use photographs? How do I transfer images to the paper/canvas/board? How do I know when a work is done? etc. etc.

I love getting asked about my process!

I am a primarily a freehand artist, and that means I do not use photographs in order to create a painting or drawing-- I do not copy, trace or transfer photos on to the paper/board or canvas. I work directly on the surface using a soft vine charcoal stick for easy erasing, and I usually do not have a preliminary drawing as reference. I use memory and imagination to come up with a subject and composition. Basically--I stand in front of the blank canvas or paper and wait for the idea to come. Then, I sketch what I envision.

If I need a reminder on proper leg placement, gaits or the parts of a bridle, sometimes I will refer to a tack or gait diagram or photo. Occasionally, I will study a video--love the freeze frame. (The Olympic dressage DVDs are wonderful!) Or better yet, I will get myself to a live study session. (note to self: this is long overdue! Get your sketch pad out!)

I work quickly, and I enjoy showing texture and expression in line and color. I like to show how much fun I have when I draw or paint.

I know when a work is done when I step back from it, study it and it no longer tells me to work on it. It's very much a gut feeling.

And it's so much fun working this way!

For custom portraits, I will refer to photos for the visual information I need--again, not copying, tracing or projecting. I also use personality descriptions to really get to know the horse and capture its character on the paper, board or canvas. Every horse is unique--like a snowflake.

I can also add a strand of your horse's hair to the painting.

See you in the studio!

(above image is the outline and finished drawing of "Concentration")

1 Comments:

At 06 May, 2010 , Blogger CL said...

Wow, that is a beautiful piece right there. Nice work.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home