Sound The Bugle Studio

The studio journal of Sound the Bugle Studio, featuring the works of Helen Scanlon, Equine Artist. E-mail sales inquiries to: soundthebuglestudio@charter.net

Sunday, July 19, 2009

My Horse, My Heart


My Horse, My Heart, 2009. 30" x 30", Acrylic paint and charcoal on deep cradled Ampersand Gessobord.
I create from my memory and imagination, so the composition of a painting or drawing is mulled over in my mind for days (or weeks!) before I pick up the charcoal.

I had been thinking about doing this horse's pose for quite a while before I actually attempted it. I played this composition and pose out in my mind so many times that when it came time to actually sketch it out on the gesso board, the lines flew from the charcoal and I had my composition realized in a few minutes. Wheeee! Charcoal was flyin' everywhere! I was quite eager to get this out of my head and onto the board.

I do not copy or trace reference photos or utilize computer programs to create a piece--it's all in my head--sometimes I have to hurry up and get the image out of my brain before it gallops away since I don't have a back-up copy...eeek!

The horse's bay coat has hints of acra violet, and the twilight sky behind the horse has deep blues, purple and magenta. (Just a few of my favorite colors!)

I love charcoal and I choose to give it center stage alongside the paint. Why cover it up, I ask? It creates such wonderful line and texture...and add a little water to it and it turns a midnight black; powerful and very dark. Charcoal was my first love when I was learning to draw, and we still have a partnership, I am happy to say.

If you would like to add this to your collection, please e-mail me at soundthebuglestudio (at) charter.net.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home