Sound The Bugle Studio

The studio journal of Sound the Bugle Studio, featuring the works of Helen Scanlon, Equine Artist. E-mail sales inquiries to: soundthebuglestudio@charter.net

Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Draft Horses in harness, preliminary sketch


This sketch will become a watercolor and ink piece, and I decided that these two guys will be Belgians.

I had to study harnesses to get all the parts in place, and I still have a couple more things to add to their collars. (Thanks to Dave at Caledonia Farm for his harness help!)

I have always loved drawing draft horses, especially their incredible necks. These two sprang from my mind as I thought about all of the incredible draft horses I have seen over the years at fairs and plow matches. No limits to the imagination. Why not make the off-horse looking at something out of frame? Why not, indeed. And the near-horse--well, he's patiently waiting to be asked to pull something. His ears are at rest, yet attentive. I wanted him to look at you, too. He wants you to to pat his big ol' head--scratch right under the forelock, please. (Have I mentioned that I love drawing draft horses???)

Watch this space for updates on this piece. I already have a weathered barn-wood frame picked out for it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home