Sound The Bugle Studio

The studio journal of Sound the Bugle Studio, featuring the works of Helen Scanlon, Equine Artist. E-mail sales inquiries to: soundthebuglestudio@charter.net

Sunday, August 26, 2007

sketchin' sketchin' sketchin'


Things I usually carry with me at all times:
1. Hand lotion
2. Lip balm
3. Spare change
4. Sketchbook

Things I pack when going to a horsey event:
1. Lunch (egg salad and a feta/brocolli/black olive pasta salad--carbs for energy, don't ya know)
2. Water
3. Granola bars
4. Suzy Q's or Ring Dings and Pringles(a tradition for the Equine Affaire, specifically)
5. A blanket (for fall/winter polo games at UConn)
6. and yes, my sketchbook.

That dang sketchbook goes with me everywhere! It's not exactly pocket size, but it is compact enough to fit into my larger than average shoulder bag. (yes, I have a good chiropractor!)

You see, I'm a sketching fanatic. Today's image is a study from one of my many sketchbooks; a territorial stallion telling a rival what's what.

I will share more of these sketches on this journal. Just to give a glimpse into the equine art process--it's never ending. Always something new to learn or practice. Sketching keeps me fresh; not to mention it's a lot of fun. I can draw the first horse that leaps into my brain, or study a live horse in action. It's essential to keep those drawing muscles flexed.

UConn polo season is nearly here! I'll be the one in the bleachers sitting on a blanket, eating a granola bar, and sketchin' away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home