Sound The Bugle Studio

The studio journal of Sound the Bugle Studio, featuring the works of Helen Scanlon, Equine Artist. E-mail sales inquiries to: soundthebuglestudio@charter.net

Monday, September 24, 2007

...and another new one...


I had a bit of a productive day yesterday. It must have been the beautiful New England fall weather...

This new piece is untitled right now. Any suggestions? Charcoal and blue chalk, 9x12 inches on Canson paper.

The intense concentration and immense controlled power of a top-level dressage horse is a popular image in equine art. This horse is going into his double bridle and intently listening to his rider's cues.

I had many opportunities to see this firsthand when I worked at a dressage academy in the 80s and 90s. A perk of being a groom was that we could watch clinics and training sessions. I took advantage of that many, many times. Sometimes I would sketch the live action, other times I would go home and sit at my drafting table and draw what I felt; images of half passes and collected canters fresh in my mind.

The margins of my college class notes are laced with extended trots, head studies, leg and hoof studies, eye studies, you name it. Quick sketches to keep me fresh. They were quick because, well, I was in class and all and I did need to pay attention sometimes!

This new baroque dressage horse drawing will be offered for sale, professionally framed. Come and see it at the Open Studio in November!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home