Sound The Bugle Studio

The studio journal of Sound the Bugle Studio, featuring the works of Helen Scanlon, Equine Artist. E-mail sales inquiries to: soundthebuglestudio@charter.net

Friday, September 21, 2007

The Horse inspires...


(pictured: Legend I, watercolor and ink, 9x12 inches. Inspired by the mighty Man O' War. This piece also serves as the Sound the Bugle Studio logo. Original: Lebeau/Shea private collection)

Today, I am working on a watercolor/ink of draft horses in harness. My goal today is to try and capture the incredible equine power held in by strips of leather...I can hear the harness squeak as they strain against their collars.

I thought I would take a little break and post a journal entry.

Lately, my equine muse is a fiery, awe-inspiring steed that demands respect. An alpha mare who keeps a close eye on interlopers, or a powerful stallion that requires an experienced handler.

The horse with a white ringed eye and a head held high.

I want to draw that horse when I am faced with a blank sheet of paper. That horse is in my thoughts lately.

My challenge is to capture that element of awe and danger. I want to draw that horse that seems to say, "admire me, be intrigued by me, but keep your distance. Respect me."

I feel humbled in the presence of such horses. My heart beats a little faster, my palms get a little sweaty. I feel a tad unsettled. Thrilled. A little afraid; grateful that I am safe on the other side of the fence.

The beauty can take my breath away.

Respect.

My logo image pictured above was inspired by a longtime muse of mine: Man O' War. Man O' War did not suffer fools gladly. I wanted to show the noble head, with a wary eye fixed on the viewer. Red in his nostrils. Wind blowing through his mane. Again, respect.

Big Red will never be forgotten. His image will always be burned into this artist's memory.

And, his blood lives on in many of today's thoroughbreds. He was simply awesome.


Now, another horse who has intrigued me for years--a near black stallion with a feline gaze...

Halo:

http://www.stonefarm.com/halo.html

I had an opportunity to ask Barbara Livingston about Halo on a chat on bloodhorse.com. Halo was a subject in her book, Old Friends. Her Halo portrait in that book remains one of my all-time favorites. Barbara is an immensely talented photographer, and one heck of a nice person as well.

This is what Barbara had to say about the magnificent Halo:

"Halo....ahhhh, Halo.... Sometimes I still can't believe death finally got him. If ever a horse reflected 'do not go gentle into that dark night"....

I was absolutely smitten with Halo, who would watch the world in a most unusual way: without moving his head. I might have mentioned this in the book, but he had this terribly unsettling habit of watching you like a cat - seemingly unblinking and with the most calculated look. His head would not move but his gaze would follow you everywhere - it still thrills me to think of it!! What a grand, grand, grand creature he was - like something out of a fantasy. He was 'The Black Stallion' in the ship scene, tearing everything apart and bowing down to no one.

I've never found a stallion so fascinating - and how nice that you are intrigued by him as well."


WOW. Just, wow.

Some dominant and powerful horses are just waiting to gallop out of my charcoal pencils...

To quote Peter Sellers as Inspector Clouseau: "I accept the challenge!"

Check back here to see the results.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home