Sound The Bugle Studio

The studio journal of Sound the Bugle Studio, featuring the works of Helen Scanlon, Equine Artist. E-mail sales inquiries to: soundthebuglestudio@charter.net

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Sound the Bugle--The Horse


Here I am with "Sound the Bugle", barn name:"Rooster," circa 1990 or '91.

He was a retired racehorse that went on to teach many students basic dressage at a large riding academy. I worked at this stable for many years, and I had the honor of befriending and caring for this delightful horse.

I mucked his stall every morning and he would always greet me with a soft nicker and his ears straight up. His eyes would always be WIDE open, and he loved to rub his big head on me as I cleaned the manure from his "house." I would sing to him:

I love you true,
Little ROOOOOOOOOO,
Oh yes I dooooooooooooooo

I cared for him long after he retired from being a lesson horse; his face sprouting gray hairs and his legs growing crooked and weak. We would take little walks together, or I would give him a thorough grooming (he had ticklish flanks), or I would just hang out with him in his turnout. He would follow me around like a puppy. He was quite fond of the wither scratch, as it would always elicit a blissful lower lip tremor and happy drooling.

Roo would always fix what was worrying me, just by being there. He loved life and its beauty and simple pleasures. I learned to simply stop thinking about every little everything and just feel the sunshine on my face. Just to BE. Thanks, Roo...

One day, he suffered a bout of colic, and he never recovered. He was put down in the Spring of 2003. He was buried near the fields he loved so much. He is now with his best friend Sonntag, grazing on lush grass over the Rainbow Bridge.

I named my studio "Sound the Bugle" as a tribute to my dear, departed equine friend.

Here's to Roo-- that handsome, goofy, happy dark bay Thoroughbred who was never seen in a bad mood. Ever. He was always happy to see you. And sweet, dear sensitive Roo--he needed someone to hold him and talk to him when the farrier came because the loud banging and clanging of the metal horsehoes always made him nervous.

Sometimes, a horse touches your heart and never lets go....

I love you, my friend...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home