Sound The Bugle Studio

The studio journal of Sound the Bugle Studio, featuring the works of Helen Scanlon, Equine Artist. E-mail sales inquiries to: soundthebuglestudio@charter.net

Friday, February 06, 2009

The Kind Mare




The Kind Mare, 2009, 20" x 22", white and black charcoal and Conte crayon on Canson Mi-Teintes.

This new piece depicts a sweet, kind-faced mare. The large, soft eye, the curious ears, the "Mona Lisa" smile, the engaging and approachable demeanor...I wanted to get it all on the paper. This was a fun drawing to do.

At first, I was bold and and heavy handed with the charcoal (love that charcoal!). Then, I realized it created much too aggressive of a look for the mare I had forming in my mind's eye. I erased out some of the bold lines, softened up her expression a bit, and went back with a much lighter hand. This is the end result.

please e-mail me if you would like to add The Kind Mare to your collection: soundthebuglestudio@charter.net

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home