Sound The Bugle Studio

The studio journal of Sound the Bugle Studio, featuring the works of Helen Scanlon, Equine Artist. E-mail sales inquiries to: soundthebuglestudio@charter.net

Thursday, May 10, 2007

UC Ringmaster

*big sigh of accomplishment*

My watercolor/ink portrait of UC Ringmaster is DONE!

I will post it here when it dries...I just applied the final colors for the background, and it is on my drafting table drying as I write.

But, just to give you a preview: the background colors are my favorite for chestnut horses; deep blue with a tinge of violet. Those are also the colors of royalty, and UC Ringmaster is award-winning Morgan royalty. And, lest we forget, deep blue is a UConn color...

I had SO MUCH FUN painting his portrait, and I can't wait to post it here for all of you to see.

But, paint MUST be allowed to dry, you know...So....

In the meantime, let me tell you a little about UC Ringmaster:

He is one of the University of Connecticut's prized Morgan stallions. He is a two-time World Champion--check out this 1993 pic of him I found on a Google search, (if anyone knows the photographer, please let me know so I can give proper credit):



Isn't he HANDSOME? *gasp*

Well, at 28 years of age, he STILL has it (photograph by yours truly):

That deep chestnut color, that arched, muscular neck--ALL Morgan, and damn proud of it (photograph by little ol' me, again):


And, here I am admiring the mighty Ringmaster as he explores his turnout (photo by K. Lindell):


UC Ringmaster is not only beautiful, majestic and awesome; he is a Mr. Personality and one heck of a flirt as well. If you visit him, you will be inundated with soft nickering, snuffles, squeals and chortles. Gaaah! It's true! (wow, I am so smitten!)

He has sired many beautiful get, and quite a few have had illustrious show careers as well. UC Ringmaster is a *SUPERSTAR* and he is a perfect ambassador of the University of Connecticut Morgan horse.

He won my heart and it was an honor to paint him. Many thanks to John Bennett and Kathy Pelletier for allowing me to have that honor.

Watch this space for a studio party/unveiling announcement in the late summer/early fall.

And..of course...watch this space to see a sneak peek of the completed portrait.

Bonus: read about Ringmaster's incredible sire, Waseeka's Showtime, here: http://www.welcomeranch.com/showtime.html

Happy Trails!

5 Comments:

At 12 May, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've seen it!
AMAZING!
Helen has captured this stallion pefectly, down to his expressive ears and keenly alert eye.

 
At 16 May, 2007 , Blogger CL said...

I like the floofy tail....

 
At 03 December, 2012 , Blogger Jayne said...

I am so thankful that the University saw fit to post the notice of UC Ringmaster passing. My friend and fellow classmate, Bill Davis, and I...both Class of 1980, were lucky enough to work with UC Ringmaster as a weanling and yearling, during our time at UConn. I will have to look through my pictures from those early days of teaching him to lead, working on a lunge line, and beginning driving.

We knew he was special then, and by reading his accomplishments and accolades over the years, I can see we were right.

Jayne 'Andrukitis' Brandon UC '80

 
At 03 December, 2012 , Blogger DD said...

I was on the horse praticum team back then and hung out at the horse barn as much as I could. I wish I had the foresight to take pictures down there in those days. D. Dunn, UC '80

 
At 04 December, 2012 , Blogger Sound the Bugle Studio said...

Thank you for commenting, Jayne and DD. UC Ringmaster was a magnificent stallion, he will be missed. He was my wonderful friend and my inspiration. Make sure you check out my newest book blog on the Great Red Horse: http://greatredhorse.blogspot.com/

best wishes and my condolences to all who knew and loved this incredible horse, Helen

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home